Where Eagles Dare, Wadi Al Qor on Friday the 12th April 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Wadi Al Qawr (Wadi Qor) is a long and wide wadi that for centuries served as a mountain passage connecting the Eastern Coast of the Arabic Peninsula with the inner lands. The route lost its importance only recently, when a number of new tarmac roads were built nearby, followed by the construction of the border wall with Oman. The wadi’s low bed is regularly scoured by winter floods, but in many places flat terraces run along the banks, well above the flood level. It was on these terraces that numerous ancient sites were found in 1980s. Extensive excavations were undertaken in Wadi Al Qawr from 1986 to 1989. They proved that the wadi has been occupied for at least five millenniums, which is evident through these rich archaeological discoveries. These include settlements, tombs, forts, old mosques and houses. The area continues to be populated and several villages on its upper banks are still inhabited. They are linked with a recently paved wadi road and most areas are now accessible with a saloon car.
    We will, however, take the INTERESTING route where a 4WD is mandatory, the route will take us through a high Mountain pass before we descend back into the Wadi.

We will have to cross a couple of UAE / Omani checkpoints on this route, Please carry ORIGINAL PASSPORTS for all Drivers AND Passengers With a VALID RESIDENCE VISA. Please do not bring any passengers on Visit Visa on this trip as they might be turned back from the exit point.

Day and date : Friday the 12th of April 2013
    Drive Type : Open to all.
    Meeting Point : Tawi Nazwa Shops.
    Meeting Point Co-ordinates:

Meeting Time : 09:45Hrs.
    Drive Start: 10:00Hrs.
    Drive Terrain: Tracks in Mountains & wadis.
    Duration: 5 to 6 hours of drive, with Lunch at a high point overlooking some canyons.

Checklist:-
    a) Ensure your 4 x 4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    b) Compatible Radio.
    c) Carry all necessary offroad gears and first aid.
    d) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).
    e) Carry some extra food stuff to share with others for BBQ.

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

April 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm #25373

Sounds very interesting, thanks Ahmad for organizing this. How many km for the total journey? My full tank can only run for 450 km.

April 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm #25375

:ymapplause: Extention to hatta pools…?? :yesss: :yesss:

Looks like around 100 KM on Road…

April 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm #25377

Oh, feel safe now. Mine drinks diesel, I had problem to refuel it in Abu Dhabi, underwent a hard negotiation for 30dhs diesel at the end. Being told that a registration is needed for diesel vehicle.

April 8, 2013 at 4:34 am #25392
    quote DAVID:

:ymapplause: Extention to hatta pools…?? :yesss: :yesss:

Looks like around 100 KM on Road…

We can do an extension to Wadi Khamees or Hatta Pools as it is popularly called…time permitting.
    Almost all cars are designed to yield about 500 Kms. on one full tank, and this figure could go up or down depending on one’s driving style. One full tank will be sufficient for this drive.

April 9, 2013 at 4:56 am #25500

Stupid question – is there any dune driving on this as kids did not like the sideways dune driving and refuse to come if there are? Grateful if someone knows as I will have to arrange a sitter. Many thanks Shauna Johnston :ymdevil:

April 9, 2013 at 4:58 am #25502

Shauna, this will be a mountain drive….no sand dunes and side sloping etc…. driving thru mud and rock particles reaching the top of a mountain for some beautiful photography session…

Cheers

April 9, 2013 at 5:01 am #25503

Phew don’t tell husband but I didn’t like the sideways stuff either. Looking forward to Friday. Many thanks.

April 9, 2013 at 5:40 am #25507
    quote Skipbj:

Phew don’t tell husband but I didn’t like the sideways stuff either. Looking forward to Friday. Many thanks.

Dune Driving and side sloping is an acquired taste…and like most acquired tastes…it is addictive as well… I am sure the kids & you will start enjoying the dunes too…very soon!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

April 9, 2013 at 5:57 am #25513
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

quote Skipbj:

Dune Driving and side sloping is an acquired taste…and like most acquired tastes…it is addictive as well… I am sure the kids & you will start enjoying the dunes too…very soon!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Hear! Hear! from a fellow “addict” ๐Ÿ˜€

April 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm #25574

Hi all…

Will have to miss out on this drive, as my car is undergoing repairs…

April 9, 2013 at 7:15 pm #25590

Confirmed, no “family event” this friday, so i’m free to go and join in :yesss: Thanks for organizing this exciting trip, really looking forward to it!! I can try my new shocks on the rocks ๐Ÿ™‚ :drive:

April 10, 2013 at 8:55 am #25621

Ahmed, what time do we come back to Dubai?

April 10, 2013 at 12:55 pm #25637

This sounds like a nice drive but I have some vehicle maintenance to do and it doesn’t look like it will get done this week, …………………………sadly 8-|

April 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm #25646
    quote francis:

Ahmed, what time do we come back to Dubai?

Around Sunset…we should be back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.