Where to buy offroad accessories?

• Author

Hi, I’m new here in Dubai. Can anyone give some pointers to the best stores (and locations) to buy 4×4 offroad accessories here in Dubai?

August 19, 2013 at 5:14 am #27056

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the club.

You will need a sand flag, tow rope and shackles (need to be rated), tire gauge, air compressor, and above all, a walkie Talkie.

These are a good starting point of places but there is a huge selection:

Ace Hardware
    Fancy Auto
    Adventure HQ (Times Square Mall)
    Yellow Hat
    Icon Auto – Has all you need including flag and pole.
    Dragon Mart – Walkie Talkie – See the thread on this website for location – A must to come offroading with the group and should be your first purchase in my opinion.

Happy Hunting

August 19, 2013 at 6:05 am #27057

Thanks, I’ll try Icon Auto first!

August 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm #27064

Hi Gordon,

Duncan has mentioned a nice range of shops, Icon are overpriced for most stuff but they do have stock, Better in Dubai is Ramy 4×4 by the Dnata building, you can also get most of your kit at a quarter of the price at Dragon mart, in fact the kit that is sold at a lot of other places is the same stuff just more expensive, Adventure Sport and Icon being the top of the price pile.

In any case as Duncan has also said you will need to go to Dragon Mart for your walkie talkie, this bit of kit needs to be a priority purchase before anything else. If you don’t like the sand or offroading you can resell this bit of kit very quickly via this forum, without this bit of kit you are almost driving blind, receive no warnings of danger or any coaching over a difficult patch. The Motorola is probably the best price value for money (around AED250). The radio needs to be programmable which if you go to the recommended shop, and as Duncan says follow the thread on this forum, the lady in the shop will programme in our frequencies (she has the list). If you get lost shout out.

For your tow rope I push you towards Marshall Saif who has a post up on this forum. Don’t go to Ace or anywhere else (their kit is not useless just not suited to the job) the ropes that Saif has had made up for us are excellent and can be used under snatch load conditions, ideal for popping you off a crest or out of a hole ๐Ÿ˜€ Rated shackles are for our collective safety. Don’t worry about gps just yet, wait till you’ve a couple of months of experience in the sand.

You’ll need a deflator and tyre pressure gauge from day 1, Mebar 4×4 in AL Quoz has them as does Ramy, also available by post from Amazon, you can also buy the fall-back model deflator at the tyre shop at Tawi Nazwa, a favourite meeting point. about 10AED (his is basically a screwdriver with the end adapted to remove the tyre valve. A compressor will set you back 150/200 in Dragon Mart, the same thing in Ace or Icon will set you back 500/750, anyway don’t buy one ’till you’ve checked out what the rest of us use ๐Ÿ™‚

Lastly welcome to DO

August 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm #27065

Gordon
    here’s the link on the tow rope

quote GKumar:

VIKING ROPES FOR SALE

Recovery Rope = Kinetic Viking Rope, canvas cover on both eyes
    Length = 10 Meters
    Thickness = 28 Millimeters
    Max. Capacity = 18,000 lbs (approximate)
    Material = Nylon
    Price per rope = AED.250/-

Generally, newbie offroaders go for non rated recovery ropes and shackles being unaware of the huge risk, if it fails during recovery. Such failure can turn fatal to occupants of both cars. Therefore a proper recovery rope is a worth investment for all offroaders. Kinetic recovery rope saves both cars and its occupants when hard jerks are applied by stretching & then retracting to pull the stuck car out.

Few Facts to consider:-
    1. Viking Rope Videos – Mission impossible is possible with kinetic ropes.
    a) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAd19Kxf7q8
    b) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuE9_XauAc
    2. Nylon has good weather and abrasion resistance and flexibility is generally unaffected by temperature.
    3. Recovery using kinetic ropes provides less strain to both vehicles.

Interested members please list your names and contact number. I will try to organize the ropes from one of our fellow offroader and you can collect it during next DO drive.

Disclaimers:-
    1) This arrangement is on first come first serve basis, subject to availability.
    2) Cash payment against delivery.
    3) DO or its personnel do not undertake or assure any kind of guarantee for these ropes as they are procured from a supplier, just as a service / support.

August 20, 2013 at 9:27 am #27071

I just went to Dragon Mart this morning, but most shops were only just opening. Can anyone tell me the exact name of the shop that sells the walkie-talkies (there are many shops…)?

August 20, 2013 at 9:41 am #27072

OK, just saw the refefence to the shop No. in the Walkie-Talkie FAQ thread. I’ll try it tonight. :thanks:

September 25, 2013 at 5:02 am #27389

Hi, where can i buy a air compressor in Dragon Mart?

September 25, 2013 at 5:25 am #27390
    quote Cesar Crusat:

Hi, where can i buy a air compressor in Dragon Mart?

Go to any shop in machinery section and you will get it.

September 25, 2013 at 6:17 am #27391
    quote GordonDK1973:

OK, just saw the refefence to the shop No. in the Walkie-Talkie FAQ thread. I’ll try it tonight. :thanks:

Hi in dragon mall u can go shope No BAK 08,09 thay have

September 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm #27398

Hello,

You can try the Crony 888 Walkie as well. easy to set and comes with good instructions. I have been using it for a year now and have found it to be reliable. It comes with a car charger and ear piece. Easily found in six shops in DM

On the snatch rope, the viking rope is nice but I have one lying unused as I find it heavy. I prefer the 8000Lbs – 12000lbs at snatch rope of ARB (orange color) but it will set you back by about 350AED. Your call. Please do not purchase any lifting ropes which are available in Dragon mart for 80AED and less. These do not have snatch capabilities.

If possible, pick up a shovel from Dragon Mart.

Brian and Duncan are absolutely right on the compressor. I bought mine from Dragon mart. A red one with a camel sticker on it for 260. This one is by far better than any other compressor i have across in terms of price to value ratios. You can find it in one particular shop in the middle corridor once you enter the machinery section.

Flags – I would suggest pick up a fishing rod (longer the better and a create a flag of your own. Use a window or glass grip (two suctions or three) and you can get these two together with a plastic tie or use a metallic ring tie (more permanent) and you have your flag ready…not worth going to Icon…this set up will cost about 100 AED whereas that flag is about 175 and the thread on the bolt at the end is a precision thread (God knows why) so its not going to last for long. I particularly hate that flag although its nice and flexible. The fishing rod is also retractable for easy storage, this flag is not.

Try also to get a digital pressure guage so you know the PSI your tyres are filled at when you are in the sand. This is very helpful as during the drive you might need to let go off the pressure by a few units due to the weather.

Have fun driving, you have a great car (from the pic) and enjoy it to the fullest.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.