Wind of change

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    quote Tushar:

Thanks to all the Drivers/participants and guests for making the EID celebratrions an Evening to remember! I definately missed an awesome morning & some priceless pictures :(. We did have a Drive preceding the Celebrations; which looked somewhat like below:

Name: Eid Drive – Pink Rock
    Date: 26 Oct 2012 2:38 pm
    Map: http://goo.gl/maps/LHcZl
    Distance: 33.8 kilometers
    Elapsed Time: 1:24:37
    Avg Speed: 24.0 km/h
    Max Speed: 50.3 km/h
    Avg Pace: 2′ 30″ per km
    Min Altitude: 131 m
    Max Altitude: 214 m
    Start Time: 2012-10-26T10:38:35Z
    Start Location:
    Latitude: 24ΒΊ 58′ 33″ N
    Longitude: 55ΒΊ 43′ 07″ E
    End Location:
    Latitude: 25ΒΊ 05′ 41″ N
    Longitude: 55ΒΊ 47′ 27″ E

A special note & appreciation for some fast paced driving to Mehul, Rahul, Chris, Kashmirji @ Sweep & Karan ( :thanks: Once more Karan-For the awesome Chicken Tandoori πŸ˜‰ )

I was about to join you guys at night….but then it was too late for me to come there…may be at 1.30am….so thought to drop the idea instead of disturbing your sleep….

October 28, 2012 at 5:14 am #19869

A really good drive – followed by a good nights camping! Our newbie group started from Tawi Nazwa and headed out into the dunes towards Pink Rock – Ali was lead with me and Jerry sweeping. We arrived at Pink Rock with only some minor issues where the new guys had the opportunity to play around and get used to their cars and the sand (it was my wifes first time and at one point she commented that it was “like being on a roller coaster!” – my 7 year old, who now considers herself a desert veteran, laughed and said “this is nothing Mummy – these dunes are tiny”).

Ali went back to collect a couple of other vehicles and the group was split into two – Jerry took the more experienced drivers off and I had my first experience of leading a small group down through the small dunes to the road and back. Here i learned an important point – just because you can get over an obstacle doesn’t mean those following can! Anyway after a quick pull we were back on track and had no other issues – but a lesson was learned!

Everyone met back at Pink Rock before moving back to the Road for a quick chai before heading to the campsite – the sunset on the way there was pretty awesome, but nothing compared to the next days dawn with the sun coming up over the mountains! Camp finally dispersed around 0900 with the last of us heading back to the road and off to Dubai.

Overall it was a really great trip which my family and i enjoyed thoroughly – so big thanks to all the marshalls for putting this together! :thanks:

To all those who will be coming again on future drives – please read the essential kit list! As an absolute bare minimum i suggest you need: Radios are a real necessity – hand signals at 300 metres don’t really work, also they are a massive safety aid if there are problems. A decent tow strap and rated shackles are also a must – mine are getting worn out! A flag a shovel and a decent compressor. The senior members and Marshalls will all have other things like trolley jacks/hi lifts etc – but you need some basic rescue kit – you can add to the kit as you gather more experience and spend more time in the desert. πŸ˜€

October 28, 2012 at 5:22 am #19870
    quote Andy19:

I had my first experience of leading a small group down through the small dunes to the road and back. Here i learned an important point – just because you can get over an obstacle doesn’t mean those following can!

Overall it was a really great trip which my family and i enjoyed thoroughly – so big thanks to all the marshalls for putting this together! :thanks:

Good job Andy :-BD :-BD :-BD
    Nice to know that you all had a great time. Many more such great events to follow!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ :-w :-w :-w

October 28, 2012 at 10:47 am #19878

It was my first ever to drive off road , and it was extremely awesome. many thanks to Dubai Offroaders,
    we drove up and down , steeps and curves, stuck knee length in sand, popped tyres out of the rims.

But we could easily come out of it just because of the strong positive attitude towards us newbies by our marshal and captain.

We never felt we were not fit for the drive, in fact we were constantly boosted up with one lil sentence from entire DO team ” No Problem, Your are doing great”

The kind of confidence DO team put in us really encouraged us, even when I myself lost the nerve.

Ali’s Briefing at the meeting point made it look so simple that we were charged to the point .
    Andy was great , we felt safe with him, although following his tracks was very thrilling , his patience and calm since we started the drive till we were safely back on road is very much appreciated.
    That Brief chat with Parvez Ahmad in the morning with the clouds under our feet , injected more courage and passion towards offroading

The sense of achievement after the drive , will be cherished forever.

Big Salute to the DO Team especially Andy , Ali Azgar, Parvez Ahmed, Tussar for their warm welcome, great attitude , enormous support rendered to us newbies

I would definitely come back , but this time well prepared with my Offroading kit for sure.

October 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm #19888

I didn’t really mention the drive before the camping event but it is sure worth mentioning πŸ™‚
    The drive was awesome. Tushar did a brilliant lead full of challenges, at least for me. I enjoyed every single second of it!
    I keep doing things with the cherokee I thougt it couldn’t do. I guess that means my skill keep improving. Thanks to all DO seniors offcourse.

November 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm #20012

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.