Wrangler for desert!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    quote trq post_id=44953 time=1501519193 user_id=25518:

Need some time to convince myself in the closed room, that my dream for Jeep is over 🙁
    I might again need your expertise while checking an old FJ (maybe, not sure though).

If you dream of a Jeep … go for it! it’s never a good idea to give up on your dreams…

August 1, 2017 at 6:15 am #39599
    quote Sebastien post_id=44954 time=1501564193 user_id=24941:

Need some time to convince myself in the closed room, that my dream for Jeep is over 🙁
    I might again need your expertise while checking an old FJ (maybe, not sure though).

If you dream of a Jeep … go for it! it’s never a good idea to give up on your dreams…

EXPERIENCE SPEAKS AGAIN!!

Sounds like your next 4×4 is definately a Jeep, a dream you’d like for to come true! :))

August 1, 2017 at 6:53 am #39600

If the comments here haven’t killed your dream and you’re still looking for that Jeep, I may have the one for you! It’s definitely a weekend car and is set up for the desert! (It’s the one in the profile photo)

2002 TJ
    – lifted with steel bumpers – can’t kill it, I’ve run over bushes (unintentionally of course) with no harm done
    – offroad lights
    – large BFG tires
    – manual transmission – great for the dunes
    – lot of other upgrades
    – driven all over UAE (including Empty Quarter) and into Oman (Wahiba Sands, etc)
    – I’ve repaired almost everything there is to repair on it already (i’m an engineer and like to keep things working)
    Once you get the hang of driving it, it’s very difficult to get it stuck in the dunes.

I’m thinking to consolidate my vehicles, so considering to sell. Let me know! The registration on the Jeep is due up in a couple of weeks, so this could make the process easier. Send a note here and I can run through the rest of the details.

Darin

August 1, 2017 at 3:12 pm #39601

Hey Tariq, I’m following this topic and cannot believe that you let the guys change your mind…. so here’s my female-point-of-view five cents: don’t give up on your jeep dream!! 😮

When we were thinking about buying ‘a vehicle for the desert’, the only possible choice was Jeep Wrangler – it was just a question of time when we will find the one with reasonable value/money ratio. The fact is that our car is old, really uncomfortable on the road, has weak engine and occasionally produces some additional expenses (not as much as one would imagine after reading Denis’ comment though :D), but we bought it a year ago for the specific purpose and so far didn’t regret our decision :ymparty:

August 1, 2017 at 4:58 pm #39602

All people are different, same u can say about cars! There is no right solution, every car has positive and negative features, u just need to find a balance of what u want. If u are really fun of the Jeep Wrangler and been dreaming about it since u were kid – take it and enjoy. If u looking for saving some money on this car – u will spend/louse same amount as u modify prado 🙂 for me Prado that u have the best choice and just need some modifications with lift and bumpers! I’m really sorry but fj is not cheaper than prado and has almost the same suspension and engine and very tiny windows! When I was searching my second car I spend some time as a passenger in different cars just to see how it goes. Any way it will help u to understand small aspects of future purchase. Good luck with choice 😉

August 1, 2017 at 7:26 pm #39603
    quote trq post_id=44936 time=1501411717 user_id=25518:

Hi.
    I am a newbie and drive Prado. Have done a few drives with DO. I don’t want to kill my Prado or modify it.
    Hence, wanna buy a used Wrangler for the purpose.

Budget: Minimum.

Request experts’ recco.

HELLO MOHAMMAD

ITS GOOD YOU ARE GOING FOR ANOTHER 4X4 AND KEEPING YOUR NEW PRADO SAFE &CLEAN, BREAKDOWNS,REPAIRS &UPGRADES THESE ARE PART OF THE GAME JUST KEEP OFFROADING WITH TEAM (NEVER GO ALONE) YOU WILL BE FINE EVEN WHICH 4X4 YOU BUY BRO 😀

August 3, 2017 at 7:33 pm #39610

Thanks S. will surely think 😀

August 3, 2017 at 7:34 pm #39611
    quote Sahil Trehan” post_id=44956 time=1501568131 user_id=24740:

EXPERIENCE SPEAKS AGAIN!!

Sounds like your next 4×4 is definately a Jeep, a dream you’d like for to come true! :))

Sahil you seem quite experienced 😀

August 6, 2017 at 6:17 am #39618

From personal experience, don’t buy a 3.8 or previous, it is way under powered and they like to overheat. Without gear ratio changes the long steep climbs will be hard work/no fun… I never had any mechanical issues during 1 year of desert action. The 3.6 is a very different story, very capable and similar performance and torque as an FJ/your Prado.

August 6, 2017 at 6:13 pm #39621

I drive a 2009 3.8 Wrangler Unlimited automatic and it gets me most places the FJs can go.
    Ok, I retuned the engine and regeared the diffs to 4.88, which gives it a bit more pep, but the steel bumpers, winch and big tyres soak some of that up.
    One day I’ll upgrade to a 3.6 but for now I get all the fun I need for not much money.
    And my ac works just fine! Look after the scheduled maintenance and you won’t go wrong.

August 9, 2017 at 6:42 am #39667

My 2 cents are:

I share all opinions on pre-pentastar jeeps. Very underpowered for desert and lot of maintanance.

If you want to stay very cheap, go off-roading with the Prado!
    It’s one of the best cars out there. It’s basically an FJ Cruiser (same Mechanics with another body).
    If you are a careful driver and not willing to go close to rolling over (which is fun but risky…) you will not make any damage to the car.
    Spare the money for putting offroad tyres, skid plate and maybe raising up just a little bit to clear better the bumpers.

If you wan to be cheap and want a car to smash without too much care, my advise is to go for Pathfinder. At the moment is the cheapest good/reliable car out there with the power you need here.

If you want to make the leap and go for a 2012+ Jeep (Pentastar engine), consider still extra budget for maintanance (+ some mods to make it look less goofy).
    In which case, for the same price I’d go for an xterra (more reliable, ready to go).

September 21, 2017 at 7:10 am #40005

So what did you buy at the end.?

Guys, another question if I am going for a similar option, since I am going for an old model, so to limit the choices, what would be my main criteria?? Low mileage , specific modification, year, etc… mainly thinking of FJ, or even older patrol…

September 21, 2017 at 12:42 pm #40009

I drive a 2009 3.8 JK Wrangler 4 door and it goes most places the FJs and newer Wranglers can go.
    That being said, I have added a 2.5″ lift and modified the gearing in the diffs to 4.88 from the stock 3.73 which transforms the performance.
    It costs about AED 5k to do all that properly.
    I must admit that most other mods on JKs are designed for US rock crawling where weight doesn’t matter. In the desert, try to keep the weight down and you’ll be fine!

September 23, 2017 at 7:01 am #40023

In other words, I am offered an fj looks good but very high mileage, 200k… is that too high for an fj?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.