Wrangler tyres

• Author

Hello everyone
    Seeking a bit of advice since I can’t figure it out on my own.
    I have a Wrangler unlimited Sahara and was thinking that the only thing I would change for the time being is tyres.
    The question is
    Do I put 15 inc rims with bigger profile tyres
    Or doi stick with the 17 inch rims and go for bigger tyres.
    If it is the 2nd option does anyone have an idea what is the biggest tyre I can fit in without problems?
    I currently have the 265 70 17 (brand I have never seen in my life as they came with the car).if I recall correctly but I think I can go to 275 without problem…?
    Let me know if anyone has any experience.
    Ps
    Looking at Yokohama or Coopers
    Thanks in advance.

November 22, 2016 at 11:15 am #37208

Hey all
    I decided to go for the Coopers HT
    The problem now is that I can’t find them anywhere..
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks

November 22, 2016 at 5:07 pm #37216
    quote gemanolo:

Hey all
    I decided to go for the Coopers HT
    The problem now is that I can’t find them anywhere..
    Any ideas ? Thanks

I guess you can safely go with 275 size.
    You can go with any make but basically avoid aggressive treads.
    Straight or almost straight sipes are good for both Road and Sand.

November 22, 2016 at 5:50 pm #37217

Thanks for the reply
    I found so far the coopers AT3 175/70/17
    Probably not as straight cuts as you recommended ..
    The HT maybe ideal but really can’t find them, anywhere.
    Will keep looking.
    Thanks for the advise

November 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm #37218

Hey bud, just gonna throw my 2cents in.

For the choice between 15 and 17inch rims it’s mostly up to you. I’ve never use 15inch rims so I can’t say what the pros/cons might be, with the exception of less weight since 15inch rims will probably be lighter.

Either way without a lift the max recommended diameter size is i think 32 or 33 inchs on the 17inch stock rims, size might be different for 15inch rims. I don’t think it’ll be any different but not sure about this. But I personally think something less than 32inch would be better, less risk of hitting during big bumps on the dunes.
    Without adding a wheel spacer i think the widest tire size you can fit is 275’s as Ahmad mentioned. Any wider you’ll rub the tire during turning and such.

As far as the brand goes there are a few good ones. Coopers are nice, I have a st maxx LT (Light Truck) model. The threads are pretty aggressive, good for mud and snow but i got a nice deal one them so went for it.
    some other brands: BF Goodrich AT, Yokohama Geolandar AT. There’s a brand Duncan told me about once called Kumho, chinese brand i think which makes them cheaper, as far as i remember he was happy with them though they were still new, not sure if that happiness lasted or not lol

The cooper AT3s are good according to reviews and what not. They are less aggressive than mine for sure. I’ve heard a lot of people say geolanders and BF goodrich are really good.

I don’t know if regular tire shops carry these tires so if you can’t find them best option might be check different 4×4 garages/stores. I need to change my tires soon as well so i should start looking too lol

November 24, 2016 at 5:07 am #37222

Tyre talk can lead to infinite ๐Ÿ˜€ just as talk about cars in general
    however my 2 cents
    If we talk about sand and highway, then:
    15″ is way better than 17″ (if it fits around the brakes)
    Why? More tyre -> soft and comfy on the road, light weight and more power in sand.
    HT is better than AT or MT.
    Why? Due to less aggressive pattern, it floats on sand and there are much less chances of getting stuck, lighter weight means you get more power as well.
    The cheaper the brand -> the softer the tyre -> the better.
    Why? It’s cheap for a reason. Reason is not only marketing, it’s also rubber. Less rubber->more softness->less weight.
    Downside however, they might not last for long, depending on your driving.

My Nexen (and Roadstone, same factory, same designs) are the best balance between all factors. Korean, HT, 15″, relatively cheap in price, but not in quality.
    PS: I never tried expensive brands, as I saw from other users that they are not worth the price. Unless it’s a matter of taste ๐Ÿ™‚ which is also ok ๐Ÿ™‚

November 24, 2016 at 5:37 am #37223

As dennis mentioned, Nexen or Roadstone are good and cheap

I use Kumho or marshall. Same factory and from korea. Best I have found period.

Don’t waste your money on cooper

November 24, 2016 at 7:07 am #37225

Wow guys
    Never ending story indeed
    Thanks for the responses very helpful
    I am using stock suspension as I am very happy with it but with a small 2 inch lift
    I was thinking the AT3 275/70/17 but the dealer told me
    That the 275 are 8 ply Vs 285 witch are 4.( and more expensive)
    So I was even more confused as I could go for the 285 but I think they would choke my engine…
    Going for a tried solution like Nexen or Kumho sounds great to me.
    Can you please also tell me witch models you have tried respectively so I can start looking.

November 24, 2016 at 11:11 am #37232

Mine are Nexen Roadian HT. Also known as Roadstone Roadian HT.

November 24, 2016 at 11:38 am #37234

Thank you all again.
    Hope I can find something for the Friday drive.
    Cheers.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.