XTerra Offroad : a few questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Good morning everyone,

Hope you are doing well.

I am thinking about buying a brand new Nissan XTerra and have a few questions about Offroad pack so I wanted to share them with you:

Here are the things included in the Offroad pack:
    Bilstein® off-road performance shocks
    Skid plates (transfer case, oil pan and fuel tank)
    BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail T/A® tyres
    Locking differential lock

Where I guess there is no doubt that this is a real advantage in terms of 4×4 experience in the dunes, my questions are on two things :

– Safety: knowing that the car will be driven most of the time by my wife on the road, is this option making the car less efficient on the pavement (like emergency braking distance) versus the regular XTerra ?

Especially with this specific shocks and tyres…or does it changes nothing?

– Maintenance: is having Bilstein shocks and Rugged trail tyres replaced would be much higher versus standard equipment on regular Xterra?

Thanks in advance for your feedback… 😉

Hatch

July 5, 2015 at 8:24 am #33398

Hey Hatch,

Hope you’re doing well.
    I drive a 2009 Xterra Off-road so let me tell you about my experience driving the car for the past year.
    Xterra is one of the few 4×4 cars that provides a good balance between on-road and off-road without compromising much on each. On-road the car drives just like any other 4×4, you will not have to go through an uncomfortable ride on your way to work every day. You also get all the comfort features that you find in a normal 4×4 (cruise control, bluetooth, radio steering control, that’s about it).
    Off-road, the car is very capable, it has strong torque and good power to maintain the momentum. I personally feel it has a tiny bit long wheelbase (unlike the wrangler) so you could feel uncomfortable riding ridges if you are an amateur.

The off-road version offers a bit more than what you mentioned:
    Roof rack rails
    Premium seats
    Chrome mirror covers
    Side steps
    etc…

If you can afford to spend an extra 15K dirhams go for the off-road version, it looks much better on the road. Or you can go for the base model and modify it the way you like using better suspensions and lift options. In my opinion, the only big advantage is the Diff Lock which can come in handy on the sand.
    Keep in mind that the Xterra is not easily modifiable. The leaf springs in the back can be a headache if you decide to go for a lift. The radiator in front is placed a bit low making it more probable to get hit/damaged in the desert.

Hope this helps. Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that the Xterra is discontinued, last production model will be 2015 so this could be your last chance to own a brand new one.

Good luck!
    John

July 5, 2015 at 9:38 am #33402

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.
    It looks like you are really enjoying your drive 🙂

Do you have anything to be mentioned about maintenance cost ?
    I guess it is similar to the non Offroad version, right?

Hatch

July 5, 2015 at 10:09 am #33404

Hey Hatch,

As long as you service your car with the dealer, you will retain your warranty. Maintenance cost is the same as the base model (not expensive). Xterra is a military car in the US. The parts are very durable. I’m surprised the car makes it back home in one piece after some of the rides (knock on wood).

John

July 7, 2015 at 8:53 am #33415

Dear John,

“The radiator in front is placed a bit low making it more probable to get hit/damaged in the desert.” Will fixing a 8mm skid plate address this issue?

And, in your opinion, would it bring any added advantage if we’ll further lift this car ( I guess the Offroad version already comes with a slightly better ground clearance than base Xterra)?

July 8, 2015 at 11:21 am #33418

Hi Thomas,

Fixing a skid plate would definitely help protect the radiator and other parts under the engine. The off-road version comes with a small skid plate but it’s not enough if you’re looking for 100% protection (there are other parts that could get damaged)
    A lift would also help but you will feel some jiggle on-road and discomfort on sand. Solution to that would be to complement the lift with some wheel spacers. The ones I have are 1.25inch and they perform great so far!

Good luck!
    John

December 2, 2015 at 2:41 pm #34297

A few things about the off-road vs base in regards to your questions:

The Bilstien shocks are far better onroad, I fact I would almost call the standard shocks outright dangerous and recommend upgrading to the off-road units straight away.

The diff gearing is different on the off-road for the bigger tires, so everything evens out. If you ever plan to run bigger than stock tired it’s far better to start with an off-road.

The diff lock is a great feature also and doesn’t effect onroad as its selectable.

The xterra is the one off-roader where getting the top of the range is really worth it.

January 28, 2016 at 7:04 am #34822

Hello, where can one buy a good strong Aluminum Skid Plate (to keep the weight down) for the Xterra please and approx. what is the cost? And preferably a skid that mounts directly onto the stock frame/bolts. Thanks.

A Good Example:

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59127&category_id=170&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

January 28, 2016 at 12:12 pm #34831

Hi,

I put a 8mm alumunium skid plate at Icon Auto (in Al Quoz).
    It was 1200 AED.
    It covers from the front (below front bumper) till back of the engine.

January 28, 2016 at 1:54 pm #34836

I got mine fabricated and fixed at Chibu. If you’re coming to the drive tomorrow, you can check it out.

February 8, 2016 at 5:52 am #34942

Many thank Gents.

**Aurelien, what was the total weight of the fabricated skid please with the mounts etc ? Does it have recover points or its the stock recovery point (passenger side) ?

**John Xterra, what was the total weight of the fabricated skid please? Was it metal or aluminum? Does it have recover points or its the stock recovery point (passenger side) ?

Cheers & TIA.

February 8, 2016 at 7:37 am #34943

Skid plate is steel. I didn’t carry it myself but it should be between 6-8 kgs. No recovery point on the plate.

February 13, 2016 at 9:30 am #34980

I totally respect your decision to buy Xterra compare to FJ, I had a mistake buying FJ crusier with some friend review. 🙁 🙁 Found that Xterra have more power & torque, & performs extremely well, but a skid plate is a must in the front. You should consider having a strong Aluminum Skid Plate. Best of luck buddy. 🙂 🙂

February 14, 2016 at 6:03 am #34989

Thank you gents, much appreciated.

February 14, 2016 at 6:26 am #34990
    quote John.Xterra:

Skid plate is steel. I didn’t carry it myself but it should be between 6-8 kgs. No recovery point on the plate.

TBH If you are just hitting the sand it doesnt make much of a difference, but if you plan to hit up wadis and rocks the steel plate is a much better choice as obstacles “dig” into the alloy as its a “softer” metal where as the steel will just slide on over

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.