XTerra Offroad : a few questions

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    quote John.Xterra:

Skid plate is steel. I didn’t carry it myself but it should be between 6-8 kgs. No recovery point on the plate.

So i learnt the hard way that a skid plate is needed. Destroyed the stock skid plate, bottom radiator mounts, top plastic cover with the holders that hold the radiator in place, and a few plastics around the fan…

Now i’m thinking (finally) that some mods are needed to pay once instead on multiple repairs each time i go out and have fun.

A few questions for John and all experienced XTERRA owners out there:
    – Is a proper skid plate sufficient? I kinda know that with my driving style i WILL hit the nose VERY often (if not every time). Or should i consider lifting the vehicle as well (which would incur ALOT of additional cost – especially that the Billstein’s that came with it are not really that bad)
    – Any suggestions for other ways to lift the car? Lift Kit brands/garages i could ask? I read about OME but it comes only at 1.5″ instead of everyone talking about a 2.5″

Appreciate if some experience is shared here 🙂

March 21, 2016 at 2:14 pm #35448

Hi Xterra Guys 🙂 . M totally in love this vehicle. Everything u need nothing u don’t. I have done My skid Plate from Rajesh Paul 0559007879 in Dubai. he has a garage in UMM ramool. Stainless steel finish. Aed 1200. I bought Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks from Ebay costed aed 2200 including shipping. You can go upto 2.5 inch front lift. but then u have to change Upper control arms . So 1.5- 2 inch is your best bet with some good tyres. Rear ened u can do Add a leaf or extended shackles. should cost you max aed 600-700

March 21, 2016 at 2:20 pm #35449

Btw Arabian automobiles in Deira has opened up a Nissan Accessories Showroom. I got my front bug deflector, roof cross bars x2 , side mouldings, Window shades, cargo area cover all for Aed800 brand new. something like a 40-50% discount probably since they discontinued the vehicle.

March 21, 2016 at 4:52 pm #35452
    quote Haijekov:

quote John.Xterra:

Skid plate is steel. I didn’t carry it myself but it should be between 6-8 kgs. No recovery point on the plate.

So i learnt the hard way that a skid plate is needed. Destroyed the stock skid plate, bottom radiator mounts, top plastic cover with the holders that hold the radiator in place, and a few plastics around the fan…

Now i’m thinking (finally) that some mods are needed to pay once instead on multiple repairs each time i go out and have fun.

– Is a proper skid plate sufficient? I kinda know that with my driving style i WILL hit the nose VERY often (if not every time). Or should i consider lifting the vehicle as well (which would incur ALOT of additional cost – especially that the Billstein’s that came with it are not really that bad)
    – Any suggestions for other ways to lift the car? Lift Kit brands/garages i could ask? I read about OME but it comes only at 1.5″ instead of everyone talking about a 2.5″

Hi Haijekov,

Good to know you’re thinking of mods now. If you’re getting into the sports of offroading, then you will not regret the investments.
    A skid plate is a must, for the safety of your car as well as your own. I had mine done at Best Line Garage in Qusais for AED 1600. It’s very reliable and saved my ass several times since I fixed it.
    Lift is a totally different story. There are several options in the market. I have Ironman (Australian brand), very happy with them and they’re very heavy duty. Lifting the rear of the car might be a hassle, if you add leafs the drive will be very stiff and you will lose articulation. The best technique is to fix extended shackles to push the car up and keep 4 or 5 leafs to maintain enough articulation.

I suggest you check http://www.thenewx.org, every kind of topic is covered thoroughly on that site, more than once. It will definitely come in handy.

Any doubts let me know buddy.

Cheers / John

March 22, 2016 at 10:24 am #35458
    quote John.Xterra:

quote Haijekov:

quote John.Xterra:

Hi Haijekov,

Good to know you’re thinking of mods now. If you’re getting into the sports of offroading, then you will not regret the investments.
    A skid plate is a must, for the safety of your car as well as your own. I had mine done at Best Line Garage in Qusais for AED 1600. It’s very reliable and saved my ass several times since I fixed it.
    Lift is a totally different story. There are several options in the market. I have Ironman (Australian brand), very happy with them and they’re very heavy duty. Lifting the rear of the car might be a hassle, if you add leafs the drive will be very stiff and you will lose articulation. The best technique is to fix extended shackles to push the car up and keep 4 or 5 leafs to maintain enough articulation.

I suggest you check http://www.thenewx.org, every kind of topic is covered thoroughly on that site, more than once. It will definitely come in handy.

Any doubts let me know buddy.

Cheers / John

Thank you John for this very insightful feedback (and the website is really immense!)

I’m wondering what’s your take on changing the entire suspension vs. adding a leveling kit that would lift the car from the front?

Also read that you have to change the control arms if you’re going over 2″ lift? how did you go about that with your Ironman?

Thanks

Hayek

March 22, 2016 at 11:30 am #35461

Hi Hayek,

The stock Bilstein shocks perform to a certain level. If they’re still new and you don’t want to throw them away then you can try to go for a lift only. If you are looking into more intense drives, then a complete suspension system would be more beneficial. I didn’t change the control arms with my lift. Each brand works differently, you need to do some research in order to choose what you want.

John

March 22, 2016 at 12:29 pm #35462

For those interested, this is the best most detailed article i found about the whole lift thing! Hope you find it useful

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-suspension-steering/24095-lift-options-please-read-2005-xterras-updated-12-09-2010-a.html

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.