2009 Dodge Ram 1500

• Author

In 1994 Dodge launched a renaissance in light duty pickup truck design with the Ram 1500. The 94 Ram reached back into the golden age of pickup truck styling and brought back features like pronounced rear quarter panel bulges, a mammoth front grill and, most noticeably, pronounced front fenders.

While the exterior looked back the well executed interior was a quantum leap forward. With features such as a gigantic center console that doubled as the center seat back, comfortable seats and luxurious appointments including leather seats the 94 Ram brought pickup truck design out of the dark ages and into the mainstream.

Ford soon followed suit releasing the slick 1997 F150 and GM was not far behind with a revised bit still rather traditional Silverado/Sierra in 1999.

Nearly 15 years have passed since Dodge turned the industry on its ear and in that time a lot has changed in the industry. Gas prices have nearly tripled, the Nissan and Toyota have entered the full size truck market with two credible contenders and once again, the state of the art in car comfort and convenience has pulled ahead of the truck market.

The folks at Dodge aim to address these issues with the 2009 Ram; a truck that is so packed with new features that it may take two articles to describe them all. Until we get to drive one, this brief rundown of the high points will have to do.

Underpinnings

Rear multilink/coil spring suspension – Dodge is the first to release a coil sprung rear suspension on a pickup. Dodge promises a better ride, greater suspension travel and improved handling.

More power – Less fuel – The multi-displacement system equipped now belts out a healthy 380 hp and a rather manly 404 lb-ft of torque. We would probably all agree that mo power is mo bettah but when that increase in power comes with a 4% improvement in fuel economy well – that is like hooking up with a hot girl a bar then waking up the next morning and finding out she can cook too!

Light Duty Diesel – A light duty diesel engine will arrive later in the model year.

Hybrid – A hybrid model is expected in 2010.

Safety – Dodge has given the Ram Traction Control, Stability Control and Trailer Sway Control. Combine this with Cruise Control and the truck should darn near drive itself!
    Exterior

New grill – Taking a queue from the very toight, very sexy Dodge Charger, the new Ram’s massive crosshair grill is canted forward at the top which gives it a decidedly more aggressive stance than the previous version.

RamBox Cargo Storage – One of my favorite features of the new Ram is the new RamBox storage system. This system converts the previously wasted space in the side bed rails to usable storage with lockable and water resistant lids. These cargo holds are drainable and illuminated. Can you say – Tailgate Party!

Texas Pipes – I was wondering which auto maker was going to be the first to incorporate dual exhaust exiting out the back of the vehicle. Well – Dodge wins. Some folks think they are cool and some think they are a bit juvenile but by incorporating small bumper cutouts Dodge has managed to make Texas pipes look grown up.
    Interior

Store in the Floor – The folks at Dodge are masters at ferreting out wasted space in vehicles and converting it into something useful. Minivans are far from sexy but Dodge’s Sto-and-Go seating is a marvel of modern engineering that gives you huge storage space and a place to put your seats when you aren’t using them. You can’t put seats in the Ram’s interior, floor mounted storage hold, dubbed Store-in-the-Floor, but you can store up to 10 cans of soda and ice. Not since the secret storage compartments on the Millennium Falcon has someone found a better use for floor storage space.

Entertainment – OK, I admit it, I am a sucker for electronic gadgets. I love audio equipment. Not those gigantic bass machines that shake your fillings out from 3 cars away but a well executed audio system in a vehicle is something that I will use nearly every time I start the car. Dodge does not disappoint here by being the first company to offer a 5.1 channel surround sound system in a pickup truck. Add to that a Sirius Backseat TV system and you have the most entertaining truck interior this side of a Pimp My Ride episode.

Seat Heaters – Seat heaters have been available in trucks for a long time. Dodge takes this to the next level by adding ventilated front seats, heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel. No more frosty fingers!
    We will reserve judgment on how well all of these new features come together when we get to drive the new Ram but one thing is for sure, Dodge has once again raised the bar in the hotly contested pickup truck market.

Courtesy : 4x4Review.com

July 28, 2008 at 9:19 am #6558

how much?

July 30, 2008 at 5:08 am #6620

Not Available in ME market as yet 🙂

July 30, 2008 at 7:00 am #6625

Lovin it, if they pay me money over my prado i’ll take it

July 30, 2008 at 7:11 am #6626
    quote zdoleh:

Lovin it, if they pay me money over my prado i’ll take it

:rofl: you so funny.

i is nice.
    joe is cool.
    u is funny.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.