DO Radio Communication Guide

• Author

Two-way radio, walkie-talkie or simply radio in layman language is a device that we use in off-roading to communicate among members of a convoy.

The following picture depicts main parts of such radios:

The most important button is on its side; it is called PTT (Push-To-Talk). Press this button to speak and release it once you’re done. In some devices on the front panel there is an LED indicating that you have pressed this button. Additionally, on the LCD display there is a horizontal bar that is engaged as well, or TX displayed.

Before using a Radio in the desert, you need to refer to your user manual and set the channels to the frequencies mentioned below. At present Dubai Offroaders uses international standard frequencies for two-way radio communication for public use.

Channel (CH) —– Frequency (MHz)

CH 1:——462.5625
    CH 2:——462.5875
    CH 3:——462.6125
    CH 4:——462.6375
    CH 5:——462.6625
    CH 6:——462.6875
    CH 7:——462.7125
    CH 8:——467.5625
    CH 9:——467.5875
    CH 10:—–467.6125
    CH 11:—–467.6375
    CH 12:—–467.6625
    CH 13:—–467.6875
    CH 14:—–467.7125

In the desert, there are certain basic etiquettes everyone should follow for proper radio communication. They are important for the user’s personal safety and the safety of others in her/his vicinity. It is especially important for Marshals to know when somebody is stuck, if there is an attempted recovery or any other comparable situation.

General guidelines:
    o All communication should be in English, so everybody is able to understand what is being said.
    o Radio that is tuned to convoy frequency should only be used when required and at all other times, radio silence must be maintained.
    o Keep the volume of your two-way radio turned up so you can hear others clearly.
    o Keep your radio handy so that you can reach it while driving.
    o Respond at once, especially during recoveries or any other technical procedures.
    o Keep the volume of your car multimedia or FM radio low or switch it off completely.
    0 To come on the trip with fully charged radio batteries.
    o It is not required for Newbies to have radio, but it is recommended to have one.

It is not allowed in our convoys:
    o to play music from your car radio over a communication channel.
    o to talk about something that only requires a private audience, use your mobile for this purpose.
    o to instruct other drivers, especially during technical maneuvers. Deputies, rangers, and marshals will handle such situations.
    o to instruct Marshals on what they should be doing

Radio Check:
    At the start of every drive, please communicate in the order of your position in the convoy: Radio Check “your name” “your car color” “your convoy level”
    For example: “Radio check by Amit, RED FJ, Fewbie Convoy”.

During Second Attempt:
    It is advisable for the car behind to Radio the Marshal if the car in front is making a second attempt as the driver might be busy handling the situation:
    “This is Robert RED FJ and I see orange Jeep in front of me stuck/doing a second attempt/ with a possible pop-out, etc.”

Or as the driver encountering the situation if you are able to safely get a hold of your radio then say:

“Robert RED FJ, Doing a second attempt etc…”
    It is not as helpful to simply say: “Hold on convoy” only, or “I have a pop-out”.

Marshals & Sweep Commands:
    It is of great importance that all drivers of a convoy clearly hear and understand instructions relayed by Marshals and other authorized officials for safety purposes. Marshals may typically say, (because they can’t remember all the names):
    “RED FJ, do you copy?”
    The right answer should be:
    “Yes, Robert in RED FJ, copy”
    After that, when the Marshal is speaking after every sequence, please confirm by saying:
    “Copy”.
    Marshals always give instructions from the driver’s perspective. “Turn your front wheels left” – it means you turn them to your left, as you are sitting at the steering wheel. Always keep a calm mind and understand the instructions. In such instances radio silence must be maintained by other drivers.

General Queries:
    If you have any question, please feel free to ask like this:
    “Robert, RED FJ, question to Marshal, my car cannot climb this dune”, not just “I’m in trouble” or “I am not able to do this” .

Please feel free to suggest if i have missed anything.

This article was inspired by a post in a local off-roading club.

Regards,

April 14, 2017 at 10:56 am #38766

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
    Great work Francis!!!
    Very Nice.
    🙂

December 30, 2017 at 3:53 am #40905

Thank you for these easy to follow guidelines.

Do you know where I can get a radio in Dubai?

Anonymous
    May 9, 2022 at 7:42 am #46905

Hi, i have just joined and i was doing a web search on allowed radios in UAE, as far as i can find only PMR 446 is allowed without a license in UAE. PMR 446 means frequencies between 446.01 to 446.20. The frequencies you have mentioned above are different.

April 3, 2023 at 8:29 pm #53896

hi guys thanks for the frequencies. confirming they are frs Family radio service frequencies. if anyone needs help programming the standard 2 jack input radios like the baofeng let me know.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.