Low-end/Acceleration – Prado 2001

• Author
    January 16, 2022 at 7:02 am #46756

Folks, I purchased my GCC-spec Toyota Prado 2001 3.4 VX in June 2021 with 218200 KMs and noticed its low-end acceleration was rubbish and had it serviced with all the oils changed (engine/transmission/differential) and had the gearbox rebuilt in August 2021 since reverse stopped engaging.

I can tell it’s burning rich since the exhaust fumes are eye-watering and the idle was high so this week, at 223726 KMs, I had the lower ball joints changed (known issue in the Land Cruiser Series 90), front links, upper arms and rear shock absorbers, but it still leans towards the left a bit. The valve cover gasket and spark plugs were also changed, and the throttle body serviced and the injectors cleaned, so it doesn’t have the high idle any more but low-end acceleration is worse, and it feels like it’s running out of petrol when I’m accelerating. It’s the same feeling I get when I switch between fuel tanks while driving (Main and Sub).

According to the service history from the previous owner:

Somewhere in 2014 – 142515 KMs – Spark Plugs changed
    26/11/15 – 162582 KMs – Injectors serviced
    26/11/15 – 162582 KMs – Valve Cover Gasket changed
    29/10/17 – 194166 KMs – Valve Cover Gasket changed

Al Futtaim’s maintenance schedule states that the spark plugs need to be changed every 20,000 KMs and the fuel filter every 40,000 KMs, but it seems that the last time the spark plugs were changed and the injectors serviced was 5 years and 50000 KMs ago, and the Fuel Filter hasn’t been changed in almost 7 years or more. Should I ask the garage to re-check the spark plugs, throttle body and injectors, or could it be the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump, along with the Crank Position Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor and MAF?

The previous owner didn’t take it off-roading, and I only took it on a gravel path in a Wadi a month ago along with a group of friends, but haven’t had the chance to join any of the off-road clubs such as Dubai Off-roaders and take it to the dunes since the Prado hasn’t been ready and due to work-commitments, unfortunately.

January 27, 2022 at 8:47 am #46768

Very obvious.
    The vehicle needs some TLC
    It is a Toyota but it still needs to be looked after and get its periodic maintenance.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.