National Day Liwa Crescent Drive & Camp on 3rd & 4th of December ‘2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

The weather has turned kind again, allowing us to plan longer drives and camping trips.
    The best way to welcome the onset of the off Roading season will be obviously with a visit to that mother of all deserts the Rub Al Khaali…meaning The Empty Quarter…in plain English!!!

The National Day Holiday’s long weekend is the perfect opportunity to go and say Hello to the Majestic Sands & Dunes of Liwa, though some people may have a working day on Thursday the 3rd of December…most of us could look forward to a 4 day holiday starting on Wednesday. the 2nd of December and going up to Saturday the 5th of December ‘2020.

Here is a very nice video compilation of visit to Liwa, on one of Dubai Offroader’s drive, very kindly contributed by one of our drive participants.

The Rub’ al Khali (Arabic: الربع الخالي‎) or Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including southern Saudi Arabia, and areas of Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The desert covers some 650,000 square kilometres , Liwa Oasis is about 100 km south of the Arabian Gulf coast and 150 km SSW of the city of Abu Dhabi, on the northern edge of Rub’ al Khali desert and stretches about 100 km east-west, along an arch curved to the north.

The geographic and economic center of the oasis is Mizair’a, where the highway from Abu Dhabi enters the oasis and then divides to the east (65 km to the easternmost village, Mahdar Bin `Usayyan) and west (45 km to the westernmost village, `Aradah).

The villages of Liwa Oasis are the southernmost settlements of Abu Dhabi and of the United Arab Emirates. The southern border of Abu Dhabi with Saudi Arabia, which runs at a distance between 16 and 35 km to the Oasis, is a straight line in the Rub al Khali desert, which is largely uninhabited.

PLEASE ADD +971 56 787 5782 AS A CONTACT, ON YOUR MOBILE NUMBER REGISTERED WITH DUBAI OFFROADERS, TO BE ABLE TO RECEIVE ALL BROADCASTED MESSAGES FOR THE DRIVE

Itinerary
    Day and date : Thursday, the 3rd of December ‘2020 till Friday the 4th of December ‘2020.
    Drive Type : Due to the difficulty of the terrain this drive is restricted to Drivers who have had experience of driving in the desert.
    Families are specially encouraged to join as it will be a nice picturesque adventure.

Meeting Point :
    a. Will be shared, with confirmed participants only, 7-10 days, prior to the event.
    b. The Drive to the meeting point is almost 4 hours away from downtown Dubai, so an overnight stay at a nearby Hotel is highly encouraged.
    The more adventurous amongst us could even camp overnight near the meeting point.
    c. There are multiple accommodation options available from a basic Camp to Hotel accommodation, nearer to the meeting point.
    d. Hotel bookings can be coordinated if required by Dubai Offroaders.
    d. There will be 2 meeting points, one at the Nearest ADNOC station and the Final meeting point, just prior to the entrance of the desert.

Meeting Time
    Meeting Time at the Final Meeting point: 9:30 am
    Drive Starts at : 10.00 am on 3rd of December ‘2020.
    Drive ends at : 3:00 pm on 4th of December ‘2020.
    Departure : The exit point from the desert is at an ADNOC Station and the drive to downtown Dubai is approx. 3 hours from this station.

Drive Terrain:
    Beautiful Picturesque Terrain of Rub Al Khali.

Duration:
    We will assemble at the meeting point which is the entrance point to the desert.
    We will then drive in a convoy till sunset, when we will camp & make merry till late, We will then break camp & depart in the morning for another day in the sands.
    and upon completion of the desert section we will inflate the tyres & head back home to arrive in Dubai / Sharjah by late evening.

Checklist
    a) Ensure your 4 x 4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    b) Compatible Radio.
    c) Carry all necessary offroad gears, in good condition.
    d) Carry enough Food/ water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

This is a family Outing & all confirmed eligible Dubai Offroaders members are welcome to Join.
    Please register your intent to participate in the drive here.
    Please make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared for an expedition type drive with complete recovery kit etc. and that it is fully serviceable with recovery points front & aft.
    We will be camping overnight in the desert & while the day will be hot & sunny, the night temperature is expected to be chilly, so please be prepared with complete camping & warm gear as well as sufficient food & drinks for the full day’s drive as we WILL NOT encounter any place to replenish supplies on the way, once we enter the desert.
    The total off Road drive section on the two day drive is expected to be about 120kms.+ and WE WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANY PROVISIONS OR FUEL, once we enter the sands.
    All cars with a single tank will need to carry at least 40 liters of fuel, MOUNTED SECURELY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE VEHICLE, to be able to refuel in the sands.
    You may also carry BBQ Equipment & food if you want to cook the food at the evening camp.
    Please carry at least 2 bundles of wood per Car for the Overnight Camp bonfire.
    This will be an excellent opportunity for photography enthusiasts to take some unbelievably beautiful natural sandscapes…so keep your cameras ready…too!!!!

PLEASE CONTACT BY WHATSAPP, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SEE THE ATTEND BUTTON OR NOT ABLE TO REGISTER FOR THE DRIVE.

November 5, 2020 at 9:28 am #44390

Ohh…no.. I am going to miss this … because I am proceeding for vacation from 01st Dec’2020 :'(

November 5, 2020 at 3:57 pm #44392
    quote JAAS post_id=50740 time=1604568497 user_id=26458:

Ohh…no.. I am going to miss this … because I am proceeding for vacation from 01st Dec’2020 :'(

We will plan another one, when you are back from the vacation.
    :slightly_smiling_face:

November 9, 2020 at 4:13 am #44408
    quote Ahmad Pervez” post_id=50742 time=1604591875 user_id=24463:

quote JAAS post_id=50740 time=1604568497 user_id=26458:

We will plan another one, when you are back from the vacation.
    :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you…… :relaxed:

November 10, 2020 at 3:35 pm #44425

Hi Ahmed,

Can you share any details of the Hotels in the area for the night before. Is there any you recommend or any that you think the #DO gang should book together.

Regards

Simon

November 10, 2020 at 8:02 pm #44434
    quote DARK KNIGHT” post_id=50783 time=1605022531 user_id=26255:

Hi Ahmed,
    Can you share any details of the Hotels in the area for the night before. Is there any you recommend or any that you think the #DO gang should book together.
    Regards
    Simon

This is the best option that I could find for a 3 star Hotel, closest to our meeting point.
    https://goo.gl/maps/gvSx5btYnr795j1d6

I suggest that all those who are interested to stay overnight to book the Room in advance.
    The distance from Down Town Dubai to Western Hotel Ghayathi is 345 km, and would require 3 hr 37 minutes of driving via E11.

I will reach there by late afternoon on 2nd December and we can spend an evening together at the Hotel.
    We can then depart from the Hotel at 8:00 am after Breakfast, on 3rd December, as the drive time to the meeting point from the Hotel is 1 hour & 40 minutes.

There is an alternative basic camp too, which could be good budget option or in case rooms are not available in the Western Hotel, in Ghayathi.
    The reviews for this Camp are not very favorable, though.
    https://goo.gl/maps/nEpgWBtWPyjuus3o8

November 12, 2020 at 5:31 am #44444

Thanks Ahmad for sharing. Looking forward to it.
    Cheers
    Simon

Anonymous
    November 12, 2020 at 7:57 pm #44450

Thanks for he heads up on the hotel – I have just reserved for the 2nd Dec

Cheers, Simon

November 13, 2020 at 11:46 am #44455

Booked Western hotel also for 2 December. Will be coming with my son. Looking forward to it!!

Best to get COVID test in advance or just take the one at the border? I’ve not been to AD this year so not sure what’s best at moment.

Anonymous
    November 13, 2020 at 9:14 pm #44460

Re covid test, I will get a PCR test two days before.

November 15, 2020 at 9:02 am #44465
    quote Scousep post_id=50818 time=1605302050 user_id=26571:

Re covid test, I will get a PCR test two days before.

The test is required every 4 days, if done in advance.

Anonymous
    November 15, 2020 at 5:47 pm #44466

Yes correct tests are needed on the 4th day after entering. So if we arrive on the 2nd Dec (with results gained within the prior 48 hours) a new test is needed on the 5th Dec.

This is from the Kaleej time last week – https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/coronavirus-new-requirements-for-entering-abu-dhabi-announced

Starting Sunday, November 8, all UAE citizens and expats, including returning Abu Dhabi residents, must enter the emirate within 48 hours of receiving a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or diffractive phase interferometry (DPI) laser test result.

Residents and visitors will need to undergo additional tests in the emirate based on their period of stay.

If they stay on for more than four days, they must mandatorily take a PCR test on the fourth day. The day of arrival is counted as the first day. If they stay for more than eight days, they must take another PCR test on the eighth day.

The new requirements nullify the earlier rule announced on September 4, where a mandatory PCR test had to be taken on the sixth day.

November 17, 2020 at 6:19 am #44469
    quote Scousep post_id=50827 time=1605462443 user_id=26571:

Yes correct tests are needed on the 4th day after entering. So if we arrive on the 2nd Dec (with results gained within the prior 48 hours) a new test is needed on the 5th Dec.

This is from the Khaleej time last week – https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/coronavirus-new-requirements-for-entering-abu-dhabi-announced
    Starting Sunday, November 8, all UAE citizens and expats, including returning Abu Dhabi residents, must enter the emirate within 48 hours of receiving a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or diffractive phase interferometry (DPI) laser test result.
    Residents and visitors will need to undergo additional tests in the emirate based on their period of stay.
    If they stay on for more than four days, they must mandatorily take a PCR test on the fourth day. The day of arrival is counted as the first day. If they stay for more than eight days, they must take another PCR test on the eighth day.
    The new requirements nullify the earlier rule announced on September 4, where a mandatory PCR test had to be taken on the sixth day.

Thanks,
    That is clear, now.

Anonymous
    November 18, 2020 at 7:22 am #44473

HI…. Just got my work schedule … need to stay in Dubai on standby….. pretty sad that I can’t join.

HOPEFULLY I can join the next tour.

Enjoy the drive and camping!!!!

November 18, 2020 at 8:08 am #44474

Hi All,

Booked at the Western for the night of the 2nd Dec.

Cheers Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.