Skid plate

• Author

Hi All

I am looking for a skid plate to protect the underside of my Fortuner.

I have seen 3mm steel, 8mm aluminum and 4mm aluminum. There is an offer on at Ramy for 3 piece fitted for 945AED, but is 4mm Aluminium strong enough (I’ve only been out a couple of times and this is first mod) or is one of the other designs better as I don’t want to need to upgrade in the future

February 1, 2021 at 6:12 pm #44711

Hi @PaulMK. A skid plate is certainly a good idea as you develop your skills and driving.

In my opinion, 4mm is very thin for aluminium (I would go for 6-8mm aluminium) but also important is to ensure they fit a strong frame behind the skid plate to support it. I’ve seen a few bent/dented plates that were too thin and with a lack of support behind.

The skid plate and frame protects your radiator and other vulnerable components in the event of a hard hit – I sure know ours has saved our car Sonora worth the money 👍🏼

It’s worth checking out Radical Motorsports or other garages for a second price. Better to spend a bit more for quality.

Maybe also check with Ramy how much extra it would be for 6mm aluminium with the steel frame behind?

February 1, 2021 at 7:46 pm #44715
    quote PaulMK post_id=51117 time=1612185920 user_id=26470:

Hi All

I have seen 3mm steel, 8mm aluminum and 4mm aluminum. There is an offer on at Ramy for 3 piece fitted for 945AED, but is 4mm Aluminium strong enough (I’ve only been out a couple of times and this is first mod) or is one of the other designs better as I don’t want to need to upgrade in the future

Go for 8-10mm. Nothing lesser.

Anonymous
    February 2, 2021 at 12:23 pm #44718
    quote PaulMK post_id=51117 time=1612185920 user_id=26470:

Hi All

Hi Paul, visit Radical Motorsports al Quoz for 8mm Aluminum skid plate with Protection Bracket. Contact no: 0561046368 Saad

February 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm #44723

Many thanks Saad, I’ll be in touch. Any discounts for members?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.