Equipment Needed at different Star Levels

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

For now just need jack and base plate. New jeep in 7 days. No room left in tj.

Those high lift jacks may look cool when mounted but can be dangerous. Recoil when teeth dont fully seat and unstable on an incline,,,imao.

January 7, 2016 at 11:41 am #34631

pls note that u do need the following for operating a Hilift jack safely and efficiently:

lift mate to hook on rims

Hilift base for more stable base support to avoid potential slipping

January 7, 2016 at 7:32 pm #34637
    quote Gallo:

Hi Chaps.

As I like to look at least 2 dunes ahead :drive:, and sometimes I go with unexperienced Friends in the desert 8-| I would like to get an Hydraulic Jack

What do you suggest?
    On rocks and mud I am used to this type of jack: http://www.maharashtradirectory.com/testimonials/old/V-Tech-Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack.jpg

But I’ve seen some people here carries an high lift jack.

What’s best and why?

The type of jack you linked might not be very good for sand, never used one or seen it being used out in the dunes. Even though I have one, I only use it at home on solid ground for when I need to get under the jeep or take of the wheels. btw these types of jacks are refereed to as bottle jacks (I just learnt this myself lol) What concerns me about this type of jack is that they’re small and there’s a risk of it slipping or something.

I’ve seen this type of jack used the most. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_12335.jpg
    I know some shops in Dragonmart sells them, I think Ace sells some too not sure. These ones are good, strong and can put them anywhere around the car. I bought one from DM a while back, but it broke. the oil leaked out ><

Hi-Lift jacks are nice for recoveries, but they do have their risks/downsides. Mainly I think they can be unstable sometimes. I’ve seen it slip and if the slip is bad it might damage the car. Another thing to consider with hi-lift jacks is that unless you got metal bumpers and such, there aren’t many places you can use them on the car, except the tires. Which is fine if you’re tring the fix a pop out, but if you need to change a tire or something then it might not work. Again, I’m sure someone with more experience hi-lift jacks can advise you better on them.

January 7, 2016 at 7:34 pm #34638
    quote Gallo:

quote tambi.ishak:

I did find a high jack in DM and it’s only for 200 AED and the bigger one for 350 AED but without accessories.

Thanks!
    Where and what is DM? :-\

DM will always be Danger Mouse in my eyes! ๐Ÿ˜‰

But other than that, Dragon Mart. Happy Shopping!

DM = Dragon Mart. cheap chinese stuff. sometimes they work well, sometimes they don’t ๐Ÿ˜›

January 9, 2016 at 10:59 pm #34653

I have everything from the Fewbie list except the snatch trap, any suggestions to where and which one i should get?

January 10, 2016 at 5:06 am #34654

Decided to build the plate as a DIY project, thanks Joe!

and here is the result.. let’s see how it will work and survive ๐Ÿ™‚

Bought a nice plate of plywood from ACE, cut it into 3 pieces, glued and screwed it..

January 10, 2016 at 7:33 am #34657

great job burak :yesss: :ymapplause:
    all u need is to throw some paint at it and make it look even cooler ๐Ÿ˜€
    how about some army camo style? B-)

January 10, 2016 at 8:24 am #34659
    quote joe.zeinoun:

great job burak :yesss: :ymapplause:
    all u need is to throw some paint at it and make it look even cooler ๐Ÿ˜€
    how about some army camo style? B-)

or bedliner ๐Ÿ˜‰ looks cool, good abrasion, scratchless, longlasting :-B
    ACE, 50 aed per can

January 17, 2016 at 11:07 am #34708
    quote Sash716:

I’ve seen this type of jack used the most. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_12335.jpg
    I know some shops in Dragonmart sells them, I think Ace sells some too not sure. These ones are good, strong and can put them anywhere around the car. I bought one from DM a while back, but it broke. the oil leaked out

I’ve found this one line: http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/yato-2-5-ton-black-and-gray-hydraulic-floor-jack-yt-1721-7890195/i/
    What you think?

Are you sure that fits the height of a wrangler? To me these types of jacks are only for the road cars…

March 1, 2016 at 4:01 pm #35176

Hi,
    Can anybody suggest where I can buy those stuff!!!

March 3, 2016 at 5:41 pm #35212
    quote AblernEagle:

Hi,

Radio: dragon mart

Recovery rope, air compressor, tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, shackles, fire extinguisher, etc: Ace Hardware.

Flag, flag mount: pretty much any 4×4 garage: Ramy4X4, icon auto, AEV, Offroad Zone, etc. Depends on their stock though.

Jacks:
    Floor jack/crocodile jack: dragon mart
    Bottle jack: Ace Hardware or dragon mart
    High lift jack: offroad garages or dragon mart.

Note: I’m sure you can find all the stuff in dragon mart. But just keep in mind the quality might not be as good as the items from other stores in town.

There are a few items you should make sure it’s good quality such as rope, Jack, and air compressor.

Another note: make sure the rope you get is kinetic, as in stretchable. It should say on the box that it stretches by x%. Also don’t get the highest rating one.

From what I understand it’s recommended to use a rope that’s rated 3times the weight of the smaller car. For example a wrangler is around 2000kgs which is about 4400 lbs (pounds) so you should get a rope that’s at least 6000kg/13200lbs. So don’t get those ropes rated for 20000lbs or whatever. A 15000lbs one is fine.

The reason for this is heavier rated ropes are designed to stretch under a certain weight. If the car doesn’t reach that point the rope won’t stretch as much. I’m not 100% sure on this though but it kinda makes sense lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

March 30, 2016 at 10:52 am #35510
    quote Sash716:

quote AblernEagle:

Hi,

Radio: dragon mart

Recovery rope, air compressor, tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, shackles, fire extinguisher, etc: Ace Hardware.

Flag, flag mount: pretty much any 4×4 garage: Ramy4X4, icon auto, AEV, Offroad Zone, etc. Depends on their stock though.

Jacks:
    Floor jack/crocodile jack: dragon mart
    Bottle jack: Ace Hardware or dragon mart
    High lift jack: offroad garages or dragon mart.

Note: I’m sure you can find all the stuff in dragon mart. But just keep in mind the quality might not be as good as the items from other stores in town.

There are a few items you should make sure it’s good quality such as rope, Jack, and air compressor.

Another note: make sure the rope you get is kinetic, as in stretchable. It should say on the box that it stretches by x%. Also don’t get the highest rating one.

From what I understand it’s recommended to use a rope that’s rated 3times the weight of the smaller car. For example a wrangler is around 2000kgs which is about 4400 lbs (pounds) so you should get a rope that’s at least 6000kg/13200lbs. So don’t get those ropes rated for 20000lbs or whatever. A 15000lbs one is fine.

The reason for this is heavier rated ropes are designed to stretch under a certain weight. If the car doesn’t reach that point the rope won’t stretch as much. I’m not 100% sure on this though but it kinda makes sense lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks, You solution is appreciated. Certainly I also found some website for these stuff to buy online. https://carnity.com/

February 20, 2017 at 10:24 am #38263

One question my FJ comes standard with a hydraulic Jack for changing the Tire. Is this sufficient or do I need to get a separate one? When I was in Saudi and Oman (17 years ago) I was using this balloons you can blow up with your exhaust. I still have this in Netherlands and planning to take this to Dubai. But it is not mentioned in this forum as a tool to lift the car is there a reason for this. B-)

February 20, 2017 at 12:56 pm #38267
    quote Eric FJ:

One question my FJ comes standard with a hydraulic Jack for changing the Tire. Is this sufficient or do I need to get a separate one? When I was in Saudi and Oman (17 years ago) I was using this balloons you can blow up with your exhaust. I still have this in Netherlands and planning to take this to Dubai. But it is not mentioned in this forum as a tool to lift the car is there a reason for this. B-)

Dear Eric,

Those Baloon jack’s were not very practical for our outings as they take an extremely long time to inflate and Jack up the car.

A hydraulic bottle jack or ideally a trolley jack are much better options

Safe Driving :drive:

February 20, 2017 at 4:57 pm #38270

Okay thanks for the info. So I can use my standard FJ hydraulic jack. I only have to get a base plate?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.