Equipment Needed at different Star Levels

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    quote Gallo:

quote Sash716:

I’ve seen this type of jack used the most. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_12335.jpg
    I know some shops in Dragonmart sells them, I think Ace sells some too not sure. These ones are good, strong and can put them anywhere around the car. I bought one from DM a while back, but it broke. the oil leaked out

I’ve found this one line: http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/yato-2-5-ton-black-and-gray-hydraulic-floor-jack-yt-1721-7890195/i/
    What you think?

Are you sure that fits the height of a wrangler? To me these types of jacks are only for the road cars…

I know these are fast but are you expected to carry around this type of jack in your car or just a bottle jack ?

February 21, 2017 at 9:39 am #38280
    quote Gallo:

quote Sash716:

I’ve seen this type of jack used the most. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_12335.jpg
    I know some shops in Dragonmart sells them, I think Ace sells some too not sure. These ones are good, strong and can put them anywhere around the car. I bought one from DM a while back, but it broke. the oil leaked out

I’ve found this one line: http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/yato-2-5-ton-black-and-gray-hydraulic-floor-jack-yt-1721-7890195/i/
    What you think?

Are you sure that fits the height of a wrangler? To me these types of jacks are only for the road cars…

February 23, 2017 at 6:29 am #38289

One question Item two 2 Rated Shackles preferably soft shackles. What should be the rated value. I check at Ace and was surprise to see that the maximum rated one was around 4 Ton only. Is this good enough?

February 23, 2017 at 7:37 am #38290
    quote Eric FJ:

One question Item two 2 Rated Shackles preferably soft shackles. What should be the rated value. I check at Ace and was surprise to see that the maximum rated one was around 4 Ton only. Is this good enough?

Long story short – Yes 😀

March 27, 2017 at 4:38 am #38542

Hello, saw a lot on here regarding jacks, I’m looking at buying a jack and just wondering if I should invest in a Hi-lift jack or go for a bottle jack? My wonder is, will the bottle jack have enough lift to pick up a lifted wrangler (2 inch lift)
    Thanks
    Eloy

March 27, 2017 at 4:57 am #38543
    quote Eloy_Rod:

Hello, saw a lot on here regarding jacks, I’m looking at buying a jack and just wondering if I should invest in a Hi-lift jack or go for a bottle jack? My wonder is, will the bottle jack have enough lift to pick up a lifted wrangler (2 inch lift)
    Thanks
    Eloy

Hi Eloy,

This depends on what you intend using it for (changing tires or fixing pop-outs). Here is a picture of me trying to change my tire on a flat, solid/graded track. My bottle jack was not enough to lift my car to allow me to change the tire; I had to use my hi-lift base plate under the bottle jack to allow me to get enough clearance. If you are trying to do this on sand you will face even more challenges. I do not have lift points on my car to be able to use my hi-lift to change tires or else I would.

To fix pop-outs I use my hi-lift jack as fumbling around with a bottle jack under your car in the sand is a nightmare. The hi-lift is very capable and an excellent solution for pop-outs. I must caution you though, the hi-lift can be very dangerous and cause bodily harm if not used cautionsly and effectively. I would suggest to really familarize yourself with how to operate it before attempting to do so. Watch Youtube videos, and keep your eyes on Marshal @joe.zeinoun when ever he is using his. He is the club guru on hi-lifts and I learned how to use mine from watching him very closely.

All the best and happy lifting!

March 27, 2017 at 7:32 am #38545
    quote Eloy_Rod:

Thanks
    Eloy

Hi Eloy,

Wranglers are jacked up using the axles as the jacking points. So the main thing that affects how much lift height is needed is your the height of your tyre and the ground clearance it gives the axle. Spring lift wont have a direct effect on this.
    Matthew gave some pretty good advice about two options for jacking and both are viable options and there is no doubt that they work and in some situation they can be the best option.
    But I just want to add one more option you can consider which is using a small trolley jack. They are slightly larger than a bottle jack and may need a larger piece of wood as a base plate. But I think overall they give the best all-round performance. They can have a very good amount of lift height I think around 400mm+ (depends on the model you find). Also the larger surface area of the jack itself offers added stability (if used properly) which is always good to have. They also generally have a lower minimum lift height when compared to bottle jacks which means they can more easily fit between the sand and a cars jack point. (this is an issue sometimes in soft sand areas although can be solved by digging of course)
    This is just my opinion based my experience doesn’t mean its the only right way. Hope it helps.

March 27, 2017 at 8:04 am #38546

Hello Sami, thank you for the reply and great advice!! The price of the hi lift really puts me off, with the mount etc its well over 1000dhs spent, so if something cheaper does a better job then I’d rather do that. I’ll have a look at the trolley jacks as well and workout car storeage options. Thanks again

quote sami:

quote Eloy_Rod:

Thanks
    Eloy

Hi Eloy,

Wranglers are jacked up using the axles as the jacking points. So the main thing that affects how much lift height is needed is your the height of your tyre and the ground clearance it gives the axle. Spring lift wont have a direct effect on this.
    Matthew gave some pretty good advice about two options for jacking and both are viable options and there is no doubt that they work and in some situation they can be the best option.
    But I just want to add one more option you can consider which is using a small trolley jack. They are slightly larger than a bottle jack and may need a larger piece of wood as a base plate. But I think overall they give the best all-round performance. They can have a very good amount of lift height I think around 400mm+ (depends on the model you find). Also the larger surface area of the jack itself offers added stability (if used properly) which is always good to have. They also generally have a lower minimum lift height when compared to bottle jacks which means they can more easily fit between the sand and a cars jack point. (this is an issue sometimes in soft sand areas although can be solved by digging of course)
    This is just my opinion based my experience doesn’t mean its the only right way. Hope it helps.

March 27, 2017 at 8:45 am #38547
    quote Eloy_Rod:

Hello Sami, thank you for the reply and great advice!! The price of the hi lift really puts me off, with the mount etc its well over 1000dhs spent, so if something cheaper does a better job then I’d rather do that. I’ll have a look at the trolley jacks as well and workout car storeage options. Thanks again

quote sami:

quote Eloy_Rod:

Thanks
    Eloy

Hi Eloy,

Happy to help. I think I got mine which is a 3 ton for around 130aed somewhere in sharjah like 3-4 years ago. But even a 2 ton should work fine. I put some links of some I found after a quick search should be similar enough to the one I have. They really aren’t too big but do need to be strapped down well otherwise they will smash up your other gear. I forgot to do this once and have a big dent in my metal tool box now.

https://www.speedextools.com/hydraulic-floor-and-bottle-jacks/hydraulic-trolley-jack-2-tons-65kgs-color-box-blue-painted–22123-2173.html

https://www.speedextools.com/hydraulic-floor-and-bottle-jacks/hydraulic-trolley-jack-2-tons-heavy-duty-85kgs-color-box-blue-painted–22124-2174.html

May 13, 2018 at 11:16 am #41564

Bump:-)

October 5, 2019 at 4:33 am #43199

Yesterday I went on my first desert experience, it was great and very well organized. I would highly recommend adding the air compressor to the New Bee, I almost wasnt going to get one based on the recommendation here but it is very important not to waste time and as a New Bee you will most probably over deflate so you will need it when deflating to compensate and ofcourse when you end your great adventure.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.