Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Hi Ganesh

Thanks for sharing this with me. I will have to pass this as I’m looking at minimum investment for the GPS. As mentioned in this post, I already have Navigon in my phone which has served me well over the last year. The Garmin will purely be for off-road adventures.

Sorry.

Regards

Sajid

January 7, 2013 at 10:08 am #21463

Hi Saj , the lady in the Drago Mart shop still has the list that Zarir left with her.

Price of the Motorola is 200 AED, it comes with a charger nominally AC but the same charger can be used with a 12v input 20 AED for the plug from same shop. The programming of the frequency’s takes about 15mins, you can do it yourself of course, but she does know how to do it.

I second the GPS opinions from other members, Garmin is the best, I have a Nuvi too and waypoint input is not a problem however you can’t navigate to the waypoint easily plus they don’t have the track record feature that the Montana has I think the Oregon too, ask Ganesh. This is a really useful feature for building up you knowledge base of drives as you could literally follow your previous track turn for turn with an accuracy of +- 3mts.

Navigone and Garmin are the same company and both use the same map base, but the hassle with the iphone blackberry apps (I have Motion X) it that it needs connexion time too to function properly is a bit of a crowded display and it’s not as intuitive as the fixed GPS, whereas the fixed unit GPS just needs 12v, of course having both are also good too. I’ve got the Nuvi and the Montana 650 mounts side by side on the dash to facilitate quick reference i.e I always look towards the same point for relevant navigation info.

The great advantage of the off road GPS is that you can use the same machine; off road- bike -car -pedal bike -foot, at sea; dinghy, power craft windsurfer (it’s very water resistant) as there is a complete range of map bases to suit the different environments.

I think Kumar has posted the tel contacts of the UAE dealer and it may be possible to get a small discount as a Do member, please check that info with senior members. I got mine via an adventure shop in Times Square so probably paid over the odds, whatever, I paid around 2700AED for the unit the UAE/Oman map SD card and the car mount, they were out of stock so I took the display model.

Good luck with your research

January 7, 2013 at 10:21 am #21464

Hi again Saj, in my last post I said you could follow a track turn for turn, but that doesn’t work in the dunes of course.

You should have a chat with Ganesh or Kumar or Amjed or any of the Marshalls lead drivers, they really do know their onions when it comes to waypoint navigation.
    Good luck

January 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #21465

Thanks Brian for the detailed report. It is indeed very useful information. I was quite amazed when you mentioned “you could literally follow your previous track turn for turn with an accuracy of +- 3mts.” It would be awesome for any GPS to do that in the dunes.

I will chat with the Marshals and seek their advise as well.

Regards

Sajid

January 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm #21467
    quote Saj:

Thanks Brian for the detailed report. It is indeed very useful information. I was quite amazed when you mentioned “you could literally follow your previous track turn for turn with an accuracy of +- 3mts.” It would be awesome for any GPS to do that in the dunes.

I will chat with the Marshals and seek their advise as well.

Regards

Sajid

Yes Saj as Brian mentioned Garmin is one of the best GPS for on & offroad, most of the offroaders in UAE prefere Garmin’s latest GPS i.e Montano650 which you can save tracks, waypoints of all your drives and even you can import other tracks & waypoints from the basemap.
    Initially I too dint had any gps with me but at later stages you would require GPS as one of the basic requirement of offroading, however the tracks saved can be followed but as its desert & dunes keep changing you can always have an alternative option to navigate to the recorded tracks.
    Kumar will put more of light on this topic as he is more experinced than me & also is a Lead Marshal.

January 7, 2013 at 12:39 pm #21468

Hi Amjed

Thanks for your inputs as well. Its really nice for all of you to share your knowledge and expertise.

I’ve had a couple of phone chats with Ganesh and may buy his Garmin. He has mentioned that the Oregon also has the option of saving and retrieving tracks.

It would be nice for Gkumar to also provide his expertise on the subject and help me make an informed decision.

Regards

Sajid

January 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm #21489

Hi Saj, No doubt, Garmin is the preferred offroad GPS device for its accuracy and reliability. Montana 650 is a costlier option with sophisticated features.

However, any Garmin GPS with the below basic features will suffice your offroad GPS requirement.
    1) Waypoint create/save/retrieve/edit.
    2) Record and display the current track (track – saving & retrieving are not critical)
    3) Direct routing navigation / offroad mode.

I can share with you my little knowledge on this subject, next time when we meet 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm #21490
    quote Saj:

I’ve had a couple of phone chats with Ganesh and may buy his Garmin. He has mentioned that the Oregon also has the option of saving and retrieving tracks.

Garmin Oregon has almost all relevant features of Montana and its a miniature of Montana.

January 8, 2013 at 6:38 am #21517

Thank you GKumar for your valuable inputs. I will surely sync up with you on our next drive and hopefully will have a GPS device with me by then.

Thanks again. :thanks:

February 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm #28902

Hey there,

anyone with a user manual for the Crony CN 888?

i got one but no manual… so i don’t know how to program it…

any help?

February 3, 2014 at 4:28 am #28904
    quote Berenguer:

Hey there,

anyone with a user manual for the Crony CN 888?

i got one but no manual… so i don’t know how to program it…

any help?

If I remember well, Yasir (@Crazy_Frog) had a manual for this model. You could check with him if he still has it.

February 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm #28971

I was sucessfull enough trough this below… turns out Crony & Quansheng are quite similiar… go figure…

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465653936802444&set=a.465653906802447.109626.345196775514828&type=3&theater

February 7, 2015 at 3:54 pm #31962

Got my radio today!!
    Motorola 338 plus
    Now it’s priced 250 Aed plus 10 for car charger
    Available at dragon mart shop no BAi 05’13
    Contact Mr. liu
    050 8797266 or 04 3687184

February 7, 2015 at 7:58 pm #31965
    quote [email protected]:

Got my radio today!!
    Motorola 338 plus
    Now it’s priced 250 Aed plus 10 for car charger
    Available at dragon mart shop no BAi 05’13
    Contact Mr. liu
    050 8797266 or 04 3687184

It’s good to see that you are getting serious about the sport!!!

July 22, 2016 at 12:24 pm #36201

Hi , apologies for my ignorance in advance as I am new to the website and new to the sport. I am looking forward to coming out for my first drive and am getting the essential equipment together. I have bought a Motorola MT-777 radio and have read the list of channels and frequencies. However after several hours with the instruction book I am still no closer to being able to programme the channels and frequencies you have listed. Can anyone advise a simple to understand set of instructions for how I do this ?

Many thanks in advance for anyone’s help.

Chris R

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.