Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Look on page 4 of this topic you will find the shop where you can buy a walkie Talkie. He will do the programing. Just make a print out of the page. Two of my friends bought there walkie Talkie there a week ago.

January 31, 2019 at 9:00 am #42309

Hey guys,
    I just recently bought the Baofeng UV-5R from Edragonmall. I have been reading about the channel lists etc. on various forums and sites, but I am a bit confused about these channels. It seems like some channels are illegal to use, including the channels on the channel lists I see floating around the Dubai offroading forums.

The Baofeng that I bought came preloaded with 21 Channels (e.g. channel 1 is: 452.125), is it safe to assume that these pre-loaded channels are legal to use or is there an updated list with legal channels?

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

February 8, 2019 at 8:41 pm #42326

I picked up the so called MOTOROLLA MT 777 model today from the Sheng Da trading (BA Section) and he tuned all the DO channels in for 150 aed …

May 16, 2019 at 9:36 am #42766

Hello Everyone,
    I’m new here and in the process of preparing myself for my maiden drive.
    I was going through this forum regarding recommendations for walkie-talkies.
    So I shortlisted a few units in my mind before heading out to Dragon Mart, Sheng Da Trading FZCO, BAI 13.
    My first choice was the Motorola GP 338+ as this was recommended by many members. Unfortunately, this model is not manufactured anymore. There is a very similar looking model, the Motorola MT-777. This one looked very flimsy and didn’t give me the confidence. The lady offered me a Kengda TH-898. I had never heard of this company but she insisted that everyone in DO buy this. It has the DO frequencies pre-set and comes with a 6 month warranty. I decided to take a leap of faith and purchased it. After coming home I tried to do a little research on the unit and lo behold. There is nothing in the entire www about Kengda TH-898. I hope i’m not screwed…

May 17, 2019 at 12:39 am #42770

Ive had the Kengda unit since January, and its been a tank so far.
    Battery life is amazing and I charge only once a month out of habit, not coz the bars fell below 2/3. Most people are amazed at how long the battery actually lasts.
    The range on this unit is great and I’ve never had any issues so far. Absolutely love this model.

Now, as far as online support/reference material, there is none— I did the same searches as you when I got the unit and hit a brick wall.

I firmly believe that as long as the unit helps in communicating with the convoy, holds charge like a boss and feel as sturdy as it does, you haven’t made the wrong choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019 at 8:10 am #42773

Hi Kumar,
    Thank you for the response, I’m a little relieved now. Keeping fingers crossed.
    Cheers!!!

quote Vish_K post_id=48737 time=1558053544 user_id=25885:

Ive had the Kengda unit since January, and its been a tank so far.
    Battery life is amazing and I charge only once a month out of habit, not coz the bars fell below 2/3. Most people are amazed at how long the battery actually lasts.
    The range on this unit is great and I’ve never had any issues so far. Absolutely love this model.

Now, as far as online support/reference material, there is none— I did the same searches as you when I got the unit and hit a brick wall.

I firmly believe that as long as the unit helps in communicating with the convoy, holds charge like a boss and feel as sturdy as it does, you haven’t made the wrong choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

October 29, 2019 at 11:52 am #43296

Hi all.
    I just bought a Motorola MT-777
    I’ve programed all the frequencies but for channels 5, 8 and 12 instead of showing “5”as the small digit to the right of the programmable frequency it shows “25”

EG for channel 1 it shows 462.562 with a small “5”to the right
    for channel 5 is shows 462.662 with a small “25”to the right

Is this something to worry about?

February 25, 2020 at 8:23 am #43570

Just wanted to recommend a supplier of radios (and all sorts of other goodies!)
    The best bit is they deliver anywhere in the UAE so no trip to the dreaded DMart required…

Visit: https://edragonmall.com/
    or call / whatsapp Irfan on 055 984 9691

I ordered a radio from them two years ago (a Crony 888) and it’s still going strong. The chap is very helpful and the site carries Crony, Baofeng and other brands.

I’m in no way affiliated to the shop but it’s always nice to pass on a really useful contact!
    (Just bought a tripod light for camping from the site most recently)

Anonymous
    February 25, 2020 at 12:35 pm #43572

Just for info, I also bought the radio from DM and Baofeng UV-5R cost me AED 80, in dragon mall all on your bargaining.

February 26, 2020 at 6:31 am #43576

Brilliant!
    I just got the Crony DT8188 and I am struggling to tune it in – wish I’d got the Baofeng >:) >:) >:)

quote Dharma post_id=49797 time=1582634150 user_id=26276:

Just for info, I also bought the radio from DM and Baofeng UV-5R cost me AED 80, in dragon mall all on your bargaining.
    Anonymous
    February 26, 2020 at 8:42 am #43577
    quote Pav post_id=49801 time=1582698680 user_id=25758:

Brilliant!
    I just got the Crony DT8188 and I am struggling to tune it in – wish I’d got the Baofeng >:) >:) >:)

quote Dharma post_id=49797 time=1582634150 user_id=26276:

Sure Pav, its working nice, however channel frequency was not set as per our norms which later manually I adjusted.

September 19, 2020 at 5:19 am #44166

Hi, I bought the Motorola MT-777 but can’t program the exact frequencies suggested in the post. The frequencies suggested in post have 4 numbers after the decimal point, the MT-777 only has capacity for 3. Also the lowest frequency step is 5K, so I can’t program the exact frequency (3rd number after the decimal place there is some rounding-up). Is this going to be a problem? Apologies for the newbie question.

September 19, 2020 at 7:17 pm #44172
    quote amogford post_id=50478 time=1600492777 user_id=25842:

Hi, I bought the Motorola MT-777 but can’t program the exact frequencies suggested in the post. The frequencies suggested in post have 4 numbers after the decimal point, the MT-777 only has capacity for 3. Also the lowest frequency step is 5K, so I can’t program the exact frequency (3rd number after the decimal place there is some rounding-up). Is this going to be a problem? Apologies for the newbie question.

Hi Andy. The answer to both questions is No. this will not be a problem and your radio should work fine.

September 26, 2020 at 10:19 am #44183

Hi all found various UHF walkie/talkie online – as a newbie, have no clue if they are really worth going for.. reuqest advice if any one have used any of these.
    A. Baofeng UV-5R around 100-120aed
    B. Festnight f8+ on amazon. .around 100aed.

They show freq coverage around 480, however don’t want to get stuck with something which I have to throw away after few usage..

Has anyone used any of these and can advice if these are any good. Thanks for your advice.

Anonymous
    September 27, 2020 at 4:57 am #44184

Baofeng UV-5R is the most commonly used walkie-talkie around. Quite reliable. Bought it in Jan’20 and used it for quite a few rides and so far, not a single issue

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.