Wrangler for desert!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Hi.
    I am a newbie and drive Prado. Have done a few drives with DO. I don’t want to kill my Prado or modify it.
    Hence, wanna buy a used Wrangler for the purpose.

Budget: Minimum.

Request experts’ recco.

July 30, 2017 at 10:50 am #39582

Dubizzle?

July 30, 2017 at 11:06 am #39583

The most important thing to know while buying a used Wrangler is that, it had a major engine upgrade in 2012 (3.6 Pentastar), which is 285 Bhp compared to the 215 Bhp in earlier models. This makes a huge difference and hence only look for the models 2012 and above.

July 30, 2017 at 11:24 am #39585
    quote Ankit post_id=44938 time=1501412790 user_id=24552:

The most important thing to know while buying a used Wrangler is that, it had a major engine upgrade in 2012 (3.6 Pentastar), which is 285 Bhp compared to the 215 Bhp in earlier models. This makes a huge difference and hence only look for the models 2012 and above.

Correct!

Stay away from the 3.8L JK (2007 – 2011)

If you’re open to getting an older model Jeep, I would suggest finding an already modified Jeep Wrangler TJ (2005/2006 approx AED 25,000) or a JK (2012/2013 approx AED60,000)

But as a Jeep owner, I can tell you that there are other alternate options that may be more durable, but the pleasure in driving a Jeep supersedes that aspect!

July 30, 2017 at 1:58 pm #39586

Just a heads up. If yoy buy older Jeep, and your not into car mechanics, prepare tons of cash )))

July 30, 2017 at 6:01 pm #39587

Thank you all for confusing me 🙂

July 30, 2017 at 6:55 pm #39588

http://tnydu.biz/DOus1Q

July 30, 2017 at 8:22 pm #39589

Lol, if you are confused still, let me confuse you even more 🙂
    They say Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket )))
    If you dont know 50 ways of fixing a car in the parking lot with WD40, silicon and electric tape, you will spend so much time in garages that your mechanics will become your family friends and will invite you for Christmas party. ))
    If you are still convinced you want to become a happy Jeep owner, just find a good one on the market, drive it around with AC at max and watch the engine temperature, listen to any sounds from steering and suspension. Do some flexing in the parking lot. If it has engine check light, check it with an OBD reader. Check for leaks under the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and steering box. Drive it at 100 kmph over some road irregularities and see if it doesnt have death wobble. Careful, as its really scary if it happens. By now you will have a good idea on the condition and if not perfect you will know what needs fixing.
    Did i mention that older Jeeps means driving in desert with open windows without AC? )))
    If this sounds like fun, just go ahead, let me know if you need help checking one up.
    Now with a similar budget you can get a Pathfinder 2001-2005 with some basic mods, and lots of power. And not much headaches in the long run.
    Same budget will find you a pre2005 Pajero 3.8, 3 doors, very capable car.
    If you can extend the budget further, you can get an imported FJ 2007 for 30k, throw upto 20k to make it a monster and forget headaches.
    There are much more options depending on your stretchability of the budget.
    Obviously, the happiness and joy of driving a Jeep is something different, especially when you fixed it yourself )))
    Now the cheapest option in town is getting my Frankenstein, which is technically a 5door wrangler. For around 10k it will be a monster heavily modified. ))) I just got myself another one, the V8 option, and making it a little monster soon.

Still confused? 🙂

July 31, 2017 at 1:29 am #39590
    quote trq post_id=44936 time=1501411717 user_id=25518:

Hi.
    I am a newbie and drive Prado. Have done a few drives with DO. I don’t want to kill my Prado or modify it.

Request experts’ recco.

its a toyata, u cant kill it!!

July 31, 2017 at 4:50 am #39591

For really cheap and cheerful there is https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/jeep/wrangler/2017/7/13/2005-wrangler-sahara-gcc-2/?back=L21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvamVlcC8%2FcHJpY2VfX2d0ZT0mcHJpY2VfX2x0ZT0zMDAwMCZ5ZWFyX19ndGU9JnllYXJfX2x0ZT0ma2lsb21ldGVyc19fZ3RlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19sdGU9JnNlbGxlcl90eXBlPSZrZXl3b3Jkcz0maXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0wJmlzX3NlYXJjaD0xJnBsYWNlc19faWRfX2luPS0tJmFkZGVkX19ndGU9JmF1dG9fYWdlbnQ9&pos=2

But I would agree with the above, you will just end up spending to keep a cheep old jeep alive unless you are mechanically savy yourself.

Like Asim said, toyota’s don’t die, and the upgrades wouldn’t be so expensive (less than the price of buying another jeep)

July 31, 2017 at 4:52 am #39592

I need to learn some mechanical wizadry off you Dennis!!

quote JustDen post_id=44944 time=1501446162 user_id=23097:

Lol, if you are confused still, let me confuse you even more 🙂
    They say Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket )))
    If you dont know 50 ways of fixing a car in the parking lot with WD40, silicon and electric tape, you will spend so much time in garages that your mechanics will become your family friends and will invite you for Christmas party. ))
    If you are still convinced you want to become a happy Jeep owner, just find a good one on the market, drive it around with AC at max and watch the engine temperature, listen to any sounds from steering and suspension. Do some flexing in the parking lot. If it has engine check light, check it with an OBD reader. Check for leaks under the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and steering box. Drive it at 100 kmph over some road irregularities and see if it doesnt have death wobble. Careful, as its really scary if it happens. By now you will have a good idea on the condition and if not perfect you will know what needs fixing.
    Did i mention that older Jeeps means driving in desert with open windows without AC? )))
    If this sounds like fun, just go ahead, let me know if you need help checking one up.
    Now with a similar budget you can get a Pathfinder 2001-2005 with some basic mods, and lots of power. And not much headaches in the long run.
    Same budget will find you a pre2005 Pajero 3.8, 3 doors, very capable car.
    If you can extend the budget further, you can get an imported FJ 2007 for 30k, throw upto 20k to make it a monster and forget headaches.
    There are much more options depending on your stretchability of the budget.
    Obviously, the happiness and joy of driving a Jeep is something different, especially when you fixed it yourself )))
    Now the cheapest option in town is getting my Frankenstein, which is technically a 5door wrangler. For around 10k it will be a monster heavily modified. ))) I just got myself another one, the V8 option, and making it a little monster soon.

Still confused? 🙂

July 31, 2017 at 6:02 am #39593

In my opinion, the most important before purchasing the jeep or any other 4×4 is to understand what will be your main usage of the car.

If you intend to drive it also for every day’s life, with kids and family, the best options would surely be with the Japanese manufacturers. The Jeep does not offer the same comfort and safety. Just keep in mind that despite major improvements in 1997 (TJ) and a total re-engineering in 2007 (JK), the core base design of the car was created in 1987 (YJ), 30 years ago.

If your purpose with the car is mainly to go off-road (it is what I understood from your post), there is no doubt that the Wrangler offers a superb combination of off-road capabilities and fun to drive, not to mention the removable roof that makes the difference with any other competitor.

Now when it comes to reliability, the Jeep cannot compete with more modern vehicles, especially the Japanese 4×4. As an example, the Wrangler JK scores 2.5/5 out of the world JD Powers study on car reliability (yes, I am in car business 😀 ), and most of the cars studied are not used extensively in the desert…

Sahil and Dennis are right and already made it clear : the Jeep needs a lot of attention when it comes to the maintenance but it is also a very enjoyable car.

My preference would be to go for the 3.6 engine as well as the unlimited version (4 doors) which has the best resale value. Try to find a stock version with clear history and ensure it has GCC specifications. Avoid US versions that do not have the improved cooling system. The American version can be recognized easily : speedometer in miles as main unit, square rear number plate and different front bumper. If you have a doubt, use VIN decoder : https://www.vindecoderz.com/ that will give you all factory specifications of the car (yes, I am in car business 😀 ).

Second choice would be a FJ Cruiser. Just avoid to take it white color otherwise you will never find your car when all DO members are parked. There are so many white FJ’s in the club :))

Good luck for your search.

July 31, 2017 at 6:31 am #39594
    quote Asim post_id=44945 time=1501464597 user_id=24786:

quote trq post_id=44936 time=1501411717 user_id=25518:

Hi.

Request experts’ recco.

its a toyata, u cant kill it!!

I Concur!!

I have owned Jeeps (2), a suzuki vitara, an FJ, a pajero (3.5 two door) and now a prado (VX 2 door).

In my experience, the toyotas and the pajero were the best in terms of reliability and were very economic on my pocket. Great power and needed minimal mods for toyota.. the pajero was good too but not the kind of power i wanted.
    On the other hand the jeeps were great with power but heavy on my pocket. Plus, the wrangler was in the workshop most of the days (this is the issue of buy second hand jeeps).

So my 2 cents are:
    If you have the money and don’t mind spending it, go for a Jeep (3.6 penstar), these are indeed great machines but need more maintenance than the below options.
    If you wanna use this ride only for the desert, have power and not spend too much on it, Toyota (4.0 ltr, FJ, Prado, Fortuner – many great deals on Dubizzle) or Mitsubishi (3.5 ltrs – Pajeros only – also many great deals on Dubizzle)

My cousin is a car dealer, let me know if you need help with anything at all.

In the meantime, all the best!!

July 31, 2017 at 7:50 am #39595
    quote JustDen post_id=44941 time=1501423110 user_id=23097:

Just a heads up. If yoy buy older Jeep, and your not into car mechanics, prepare tons of cash )))

EXPERIENCE SPEAKS !!!

July 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm #39597

Thank you Den, Jibs, Asim, Sahil, Eloy & Alkawel so detailed autopsy.

So net net, here’s my take:
    1. Jeep is a great drive. Costly girlfriend. Old needs botox also.
    2. Go for Japanese. FJ coming out as clear choice.

Pervez bhai also advised the same last week.

Need some time to convince myself in the closed room, that my dream for Jeep is over 🙁
    I might again need your expertise while checking an old FJ (maybe, not sure though).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.